thanks food network for the recipe
I was in the Essene Market on 4th Street and I saw that cornmeal was on sale for like a dolla a pound so I picked up about a pound of it and what better to make than cornbread?? So I looked for some recipes, but we didn't have any corn, so I just did it without, although a nice crunch or texture difference would have been nice. This came out super thick, next time I either need to use a larger dish or use butter instead of oil (whoops!), they tasted good though, not extreme sweetness, just a nice touch of sweet, fresh corn would definitely give it that extra oomph it needs. Note: you should refrigerate the leftovers and reheat in the oven.
Also, it looked a lot thinner when i was done mixing, this is fine, when all baked up, it was all good.
- 2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for preparing the pan
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups milk
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved