Thursday, July 15, 2010

$20 Thali at Bindi

My best friend, sister, and I decided to go to Bindi for their $20 thali special, I get these e-mails every week and was really excited to see that they had lamb chops, so we went.  Below is the menu

goan spiced lamb chop
minted pea puree, local sour cherry chutney
cooked and seasoned perfectly, tender, juicy, everything a lamb chop should be
or
lime-jaggery glazed prawns
summer carrot mash, lemongrass foam, baby thai basil
or
masala brined paneer
yellow tomato kut, creamy quinoa, crispy beet chips
 my friend told me it was quite good and she likes quinoa to begin with
÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷
each  person will receive the following:
 
heirloom tomato-watermelon chaat
toasted spicy peanuts, chickpea sev, chutneys, yogurt
this was my favorite side, i didn't think i would like it, but the combo worked out quite well
 
south indian spiced bhindi
spiced buttermilk fried okra, charred tomato-saffron aioli
this was my least favorite, the batter on the okra was not fresh, these had been sitting out or double fried, but they were soggy and no longer crispy and the consistency of the okra was off
 
basmati-wild rice pulao
coconut, mustard seeds, curry leaf
very straight forward, nice flavors 

baby fennel and asparagus kosambri
shredded carrot, thai basil dressing, madras curry
this tasted so fresh and clean, i liked it a lot
 
curried coconut cream corn
goat cheese, sambar lentils, crispy masala shallots
anything with coconut and goat cheese and I am sold!  the sweetness of the corn and coconut worked well without being too sweet
 
ginger-lemon raita
yogurt, cucumber, lemon oil
i'm not usually a yogurt fan but i tried it and i enjoyed the texture and flavor of this yogurt
 
farm apple chutney
local cameo apple, fresh mint, lime
i didn't know this was apple chutney until i looked back at the pictures, it was almost like a dried date consistency and too sweet for my taste
 
date-pecan-goat cheese paratha
hand rolled griddle bread, ghee, sea salt
i was apprehensive about this because of the combination but it tasted spot on but it did taste heavily of raw flour

This is the guava juice they had, my sister ordered it and liked it








You get free chips and the sweet sticky chutney, I am a big fan of mint chutney with lots of big flavors













this is the masala brined paneer thali.  we all got the same sides.















the lamb chops were cooked perfectly!! 















Overall, this was a great experience, we got so much food none of us finished it all.  I will definitely go again when they have a main dish that is unusual, I think i remember seeing goat on one of the e-mails, but I could be wrong.  

Sign up for their e-mail and you can get their weekly thali special to your inbox
Bindi Restaurant | 105 S. 13th Street | Philadelphia | PA | 19107 215.922.6061


















1 comment:

Miss Rachel's Pantry said...

hey lady. you won the pot pie contest on my blog! get in touch and i'll make it for you :)